Thursday, June 26, 2008

Out with the Old...Yadda, yadda, yadda.

A photo of me working on a cartoon for JobDig at my
home-based studio, circa 2005.


Which Way Studios is on the move for the first time in nine years. Originally based in my apartment in Hackettstown, New Jersey starting in 1995, I packed it up at the end of 1999 and moved it back home to Roseville, Minnesota where the Studio has been in my home now for nearly a decade.

In early 2006, my regular cartoon " Ask, Don't Tell" I was creating for the employment newspaper JobDig was unceremoniously dropped from the publication and I found myself struggling to figure out what to do next. While in the middle stages of working for JobDig, I had developed tentative plans to create business-related cartoons and sell them to publications and presenters via a web-store. After I got the axe from JobDig, I did some serious reflection about whether I truly wanted to devote many long hours to creating business cartoons, when in all honesty, I didn't really enjoy making them.

I ultimately decided to put the cartooning work on hold for a time and allow myself to get more involved in my family's foundation, the Sauer Children's Renew Foundation.

Now, after a little more than 2 years of working as an administrative assistant in the foundation office, I am in the position of having to quit that paying job so that come November, I can step into the role of president on the foundation board, of which I have been a trustee for the last 12 years.

This leaves me a great opportunity to dust off my drawing board and get back into the game of creating comics as it were. Only now, instead of breaking my back for JobDig, I will be challenging myself toward a very different goal and a very different audience. More on that later.

As far as WHERE I will be working on my drawing board, that will all change in about five days. I will post images of my new digs as I begin the gradual process of setting up my working space in a brand new studio at a very comfortable office park in New Brighton, Minnesota.

From there I will be working "full-time" on comic books and other artwork. As time permits, I will post updates, along with photos, here about the work I am doing and the progress I am making.

Feel free to comment on my posts as I break new ground personally and professionally over the coming weeks, months and (hopefully) years.

Best,
Corey

No comments: